Fracture coding

Patient had a hip fracture back in 2015 that he had surgery for but then got traumatic Osteoarthritis and just had surgery on left hip due to pain and inability to move much. My questions is would we use a sequelea fracture code or an aftercare code? Because the fracture was so long ago, I'm unsure how to code it. It says the principal dx is myositis ossificans traumatica.

Comments

• OK, I think you're right Lisa. Thanks!
  • Hi Lisa.
    I usually have opinions on just about everything and will be happy to weigh in.
    A traumatic fracture will heal completely after 6-8 weeks without complication, and I do not see mention of a complication with the first fracture. The precipitating condition occurred way after the original fracture healed so unless the documentation states it is a sequelae, then it is not. Traumatic osteoarthritis can be attributed to a career of jump roping if you catch my drift. The diagnosis underlying condition can be found under osseous defect. I would code the AC like Lisa suggested unless another weighs in a different opinion. Physician clarification would surely help to confirm a sequelae! If it is, you go with fracture code with the "S".

Nancy Wolverton RN, CCM, HCS-D
    Kindred at Home
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    501-508-8526
    Nancy.Wolverton@kindred.com
  • That makes perfect sense. Thanks you guys!