addendum to morbid obesity

She is very weak and requires OT PT SN....we have an MD that makes house calls....her medical dx all require managing...its just that none have exacerbated recently...but at a huge risk for re-hospitalization and falls etc etc....

Comments

• Morbid obesity is a chronic condition and I would caution you from using a chronic, unchanged condition as a primary diagnosis. It sound to me like the obesity is a major co-morbidity rather than a primary diagnosis. Look at the POC focus. Is it weight-loss? Diet management for the obesity? Does the chronic condition of only morbid obesity drive the POC interventions? If not, look at the conditions that have debilitated the patient within the past 14 days prior to the SOC that are exacerbated or acute conditions involving acute hospital interventions like therapies. They are not priority-focused on her obesity, they are focused on her mobility issues which must have exacerbated with an acute event like UTI sepsis or pneumonia, etc. In other words, what precipitated her initial hospitalization that caused her to decline and require continued care in rehab for 4 months? Look at the rehab H&P and the DC Summary. That will clue you in.

Nancy Wolverton RN, CCM, HCS-D
    Kindred at Home
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    501-508-8526
    Nancy.Wolverton@kindred.com
  • Thank You Nancy...I guess I am tired. I need to look at this with fresh
    eyes tomorrow. I really didn't think I should use the morbid obesity. Thank
    You for your help.