Total knee replacement

I'm having conflict with the therapist in the office on how to correctly code a knee replacement... They want to keep adding muscle weakness and abnormal gait as the 2nd and 3rd codes...in a recent class I went to they said to not use those 2 codes...

What's the correct way to code this

Comments

• I don't use Abnormal Gait since the joint replacement is the underlying
    cause. I might use Difficulty in Walking, but not Abnormal Gait. Why
    would they want to use Muscle Weakness? Without an MD diagnosis?
  • Those are integral to the joint replacement you do not need to code these

Priscilla Brunk RN, HCS-D
    Corporate Coder
    Cell: 772-284-1185
    Fax: 954-962-2667
  • What's the correct way we are suppose to code total knee replacements? I have a therapist in question about the muscle weakness codes and abnormal gait...can you please direct me on the proper coding.

Thanks
    Amy
  • Z47.1 for aftercare of joint replacement. And the Z code for the replaced joint. No need to code muscle weakness or abnormal gait as these are integral to the joint replacement
  • Agree no muscle weakness or abnormal gait when coding joint replacements (unless different origin documented) , integral to a joint replacement.
  • So now the question has came up about the M1017 can they use muscle weakness there? It's the question of medical change in the last 14 days...you can't use a "z" code in the section...
  • No but the arthritis (or whatever caused pt to need joint replacement) can be used in M1011 and M1017.