Soft tissue infection

Hi,
Does anyone know how to code this? I have a referral and it says extensive soft tissue infection. My first thought was cellulitis but it doesn't say that. The patient had an I/D of groin, right upper extremity and left lower extremity and has a wound vac for leg. All it says is non-necrotizing soft tissue infection with MRSA.

Comments

• If I look in UpToDate for soft tissue infection it actually takes you specifically to cellulitis.(Cellulitis is an infection of the skin and soft tissue of the skin)
    Can you request a copy of the I&D note, hospital DC summary that may actually say cellulitis or the I&D note might be more specific as to what "soft tissue" was infected.
  • I first thought cellulitis too but the DC summary only says non-necrotizing soft tissue infection. Thanks!
  • There is no DC summary.
    The referral came from the physician's office. And yes the diagnosis is entered in the end of the note, cellulitis L03.818 which is not as specific as the one I coded it to, specific for the groin.
    Codes are in. The last code is entered for the presence of a foley catheter which the RN needs to address on who manages it longterm. I would enter the presence of and who is responsible for it in my POC orders to cover my professional license, but then that is me.

Nancy Wolverton RN, CCM, HCS-D
    Kindred at Home
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    501-508-8526
    Nancy.Wolverton@kindred.com
  • Ignore this response please.
    I have a Jill who consulted me for a coding scenario.
    Thanks

Nancy Wolverton RN, CCM, HCS-D
    Kindred at Home
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    501-508-8526
    Nancy.Wolverton@kindred.com