Regulations on RN IP in home health

Somewhere in the resources of my brain I remember a guideline that stated new RN's without a year in Med Surge could NOT work independently in Home Health. I don't know where to find any regulations on whether or not a brand new grad with an IP only can work as an RN in Home Health. I have an LVN who has worked in home health approximately 18 months and she has just gotten her IP. She has not sat for her boards yet and would like to know if she can function as an RN in Home Health with only the IP. If not, is there any reason she would not be able to work in Home Health independently as soon as she does pass her boards. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

June

Comments

• edited May 2017
    In California, this is part of our state regulations for Home Health. They state a SN must have a year of professional service prior to working in Home Health. I have queried further on this several times over the last many years and have always rec'd the same response- the state doesn't differentiate. We also had an LVN working for us who just recently received her RN. She was able to move successfully into her RN role without problem. I would work with my state organization if the LVN-RN included a transitional IP role. They might require a waiver for that to allow her to sign RN IP after her name.
  • In Texas a Graduate Nurse can only work under the direct supervision of a RN. In HH that isn't possible. There is no rule that says you can't hire her once she passes the boards but the skills and autonomy needed to perform "best practices" and assessments have not been developed. I think as a professon it's a huge injustice to them. The BON "strongly encourages" 1 year of clinical experience before coming to HH last I checked. If she was a LVN first, I would consider on an individual basis. I'm sure the state Board of Nursing website would have this information.
  • Check your state home health licensing regs. Maine requires nurses to have one years experience.