Weakness

Another HH coder said to always use weakness for joint replacements. I questioned if we use it even if a physician has not stated weakness and she said yes that in this situation, weakness is exempt from that coding rule?? Is this correct? Do others always code weakness with a hip or knee, or whatever joint replacement?

Comments

• I have never heard that; we would always need physician confirmation.

Thanks,
    Jamie Seghers, HCS-D, BCHH-C, COS-C, HCS-H
    Medical Coding Manager
    Office Phone: 844-839-0061
    Cisco ext. 5040
    Fax: 877-751-5987
  • No. Weakness is a diagnosis and should only be coded with physician verification. Even if verified, it is always better to query the physician as to the reason for the weakness rather than using this unspecified, ill-defined symptom.

Andrea M. Smith BSN, RN, BCHH-C COS-C
  • I do not code weakness with a joint replacement if the weakness is d/t the
    joint that was replaced as that is inherent to the surgery

Arlene Poolman, RN
    Director of Clinical Services
    At Home Rehab

The Professional Care YOU Deserve
  • That's what I thought, that it is inherent to the surgery. However I know some coders will code it and state it's to help cover need for therapy.
  • edited May 2017
    Perhaps the coder advising you is referencing outdated information. Once upon a time, long, long ago, there was advice on the listserve to use symptom codes to support therapy services. Thinking back, I believe that was before we had the ICD-9 V-codes for PT, OT, and ST. Many changes and updates have taken place since then.

It is important to always question, and to review the chapter notes and the notes in the Tabular to ensure that you are following current guidelines. Hopefully, your advisor is open to discussing this information.

I used to work with very strong personalities who were not shy about questioning my coding. Using the printed guidelines in the manual and showing them how I followed process to arrive at the codes I used changed the relationship to one of trust and respect.

Susan Winokur, HCS-D, BCHH-C | Southwest Medical
    Part of OptumCare
    Senior Medical Coder, Home Health

8655 South Eastern Avenue, Las Vegas, NV 89123 USA
    T    +1 702-838-0644
    Susan.Winokur@optum.com
    smalv.com