Paracentesis

My patient had ascites and ended up doing a paracentesis what would I use an after care code for this?

Danie Stevens
Home Health Coder, RHIT
Essentia Health St. Mary's
114 Frazee Street East Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
218-314-7857
Danielle.Stevens@essentiahealth.org

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Why aftercare,instead look for the disease causing ascites 
  • Considering that’s the reason they were inpatient I was wondering if there needs to be an aftercare code.

Thanks!
  • edited April 2017
    No you would just code the cause of the ascites as primary then follow with the ascites

Priscilla Brunk RN, HCS-D
    Corporate Coder
    Cell: 772-284-1185
    Fax: 954-962-2667
  • The paracentesis should’ve resolved the ascites?
  • Carolyn the patient went in for abdominal pain found the ascites. However patient does have recurring pancreatitis (where the abdominal pain comes into play) with pseudocyst and does have alcoholic cirrhosis. I was just wondering if there had to be an Ac code for this. ☺
  • edited April 2017
    No there isn’t, that is why usually I just code the ascites. Look at the main reason you are in there are you teaching measures to decrease the ascites, or to recognize the early stages? That is what I would code first and put the ascites under that. There is a code I believe for alcoholic cirrhosis with ascites. You could go with that one first because there is a lot of teaching with that one

Corporate Coder
  • Does the md have to specifically relate cirrhosis with the ascites?
  • edited April 2017
    I don’t believe so since the ascites is integral part of cirrhosis. But I may be wrong. Let’s see if anyone else helps us out

Corporate Coder
  • Thanks Carolyn I appreciate your help. Can someone tell me if I can assume a relationship of ascites with alcoholic cirrhosis or does the MD have to state the relationship?
  • I don’t know for sure but I would lean towards not assuming. Ascites can
    come from other things besides liver cirrhosis.

Arlene Poolman, RN

Director of Clinical Services

At Home Rehab

*The Professional Care YOU Deserve*
  • edited April 2017
    I agree with Precilla