ALS

I am coding a patient with ALS, G12.21, and he is being admitted to home care for his dysphagia, skin breakdown, slurred speech and weakness. I don't see any guideline as to whether I should code the ALS as primary or the manifestations which are being treated with ALS as secondary. I see that ALS is a Hospice primary code but he's not there yet. Please advise.
Johanna

Comments

• My thought is that you would code the ALS as primary followed by the
    dysphagia and slurred speech and skin breakdown. I would think the weakness
    is inheritant to the dx. However I have never coded ALS so it is very much
    an opinion!

Arlene Poolman, RN
    Director of Clinical Services
    At Home Rehab

The Professional Care YOU Deserve
  • edited April 2017
    I agree with Arlene, code the ALS as primary no need to code the muscle weakness.

Priscilla Brunk RN, HCS-D
    Corporate Coder
    Cell: 772-284-1185
    Fax: 954-962-2667
  • When coding a chronic condition such as ALS you would code the ALS first if you are treating multiple aspects of the disease (for example, in this case speech for dysphagia and speech, PT for weakness, nursing for teaching or foley care etc.) If the referral is for PT only then you would use the symptom code (weakness) first and list the ALS second.
  • So then would you only code the ALS? Or do you code the ALS and then list
    all the symptoms?

Arlene Poolman, RN

Director of Clinical Services

At Home Rehab

*The Professional Care YOU Deserve*
  • edited April 2017
    Can anyone tell me if there was a response/follow up to this topic yesterday? I was curious to know as this is a familiar scenario for us recently.

Thanks!
    Jaycee Barkasi
    OASIS coordinator
    Gallagher Home Health Services
  • edited April 2017
    Pls correct me if im wrong. for PT-ALSif there is a multiple falls, my primary is repeated falls , other lack of coordination then ALS, or primary is unsteadiness on feet, then other lack of coordination and ALS