Coding Burns With Grafts

Hello, I have a patient that has 3rd degree burns to RUE, Right Hand, Face and Trunk. He has a graft donor site from his left thigh and skin graft substitutes were used as well to RUE and trunk. Do I code the graft donor site? Is the codes for the skin grafted burns the same as burns without grafts? I would appreciate all the guidance any one can give me. Thank you!!!


  • Yes the burns still get coded to the acute burn. For the donor site you can include Z48.298.

    Jamie Seghers, HCS-D, BCHH-C, COS-C, HCS-H
    Medical Coding Manager
    Office Phone: 844-839-0061
    Cisco ext. 5040
    Fax: 877-751-5987
Sign In or Register to comment.