COPD and resp failure

I understand that we shouldn't code symptoms when a Dx is documented. Nurse lists respiratory failure with COPD, but every time I explain it, the nurse will still say it should still be coded.
Is COPD with acute respiratory failure with hypoxia more accepted than COPD with chronic respiratory failure with hypoxia?
Also, should I assign the two codes; j96.12 and j96.11 for with hypoxia and with hypercapnia when nurse lists out, COPD with chronic respiratory failure with hypoxia and hypercapnia?

Brenda Hoss
Coder

Comments

• COPD is chronic, so any type of generic "chronic respiratory failure" is included. However, acute respiratory failure should be coded in addition to the COPD. Code both types (hypoxic, hypercapneic) if present, verified, and still requiring active care.
  • so if the documentation states COPD w/chronic Hypoxic Respiratory failure we would only code COPD? I always so code J44.9 for copd and the J96.11 listed 2nd, Am I wrong to do this?
  • edited May 2017
    I always add acute and/or chronic hypoxic or hypercapneic respiratory failure with COPD. The tip under COPD is not to code respiratory insufficiency with COPD, which is different than Respiratory failure

Thanks,
    Mandy J Pilgrim RHIT | Coding Technician I | Revenue Cycle | Phone: 715-530-2101|pilgrim.mandy@mayo.edu
    Mayo Clinic Health System – Home Health and Hospice | 1400 Bellinger St | PO Box 1510  Eau Claire, WI 54702 | mayoclinichealthsystem.org