Re. LE wound

If pt. has a traumatic LE wound not complicated (abx. oint. and Mepilex) and ALF staff is managing, would I still use the 881.801D code only not in top 6?

Thanks in advance!
Lisa
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed over the Internet.

Comments

• Hi Lise, I would code it, and include it in the top 6 -if nothing more pressing needs that slot, because we would still be responsible to provide supplies & as a clinician I would want to monitor it's progress. Especially if the patient had any co-morbidity dx that could affect it's healing such as DM or PVD.
    (PS-check the code you gave-should the 1st character be an S? And to be more specific and garner case-mix points do we know or can we find out what type of wound it is, such as a laceration or puncture?)
    Laura Penton, RN COS-C HCS-D 10
  • edited April 2017
    Laura, thank you so much and yes, I accidentally left off the S. Great thought re. supplies, never crossed my mind! This is a recert and we are behind so probably won't investigate etiology any further :)

Thanks again,
    Lisa